The Red Thread

A Introspective Collection of Life Observations

When God Speaks

Pegasus
    Pegasus
    Admin

When God Speaks Empty When God Speaks

Post by Pegasus on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Recently a friend asked me if I go to Church. I replied, “ Quite often.” Little did she know that I was talking about the Church of Nature. There is something about being in the midst of trees twice as old as me and animals unpolluted by the machinations of man that makes me feel that I am one with the Divine. To quote Mother Theresa, “We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.”

And there in the silence of nature is where I find God. So a few days ago as I walked through the woods, a sense of peace came over me and I found myself letting go of all my burdens. My uncluttered mind took in my bearings and I suddenly noticed my surroundings in great detail. The trees were barren, stripped bare of their leaves by the onslaught of Winter yet beautiful in their strong almost defiant posture. Many were covered in stringy ropes of vines, some with lower branches weighed down to the point of submission to gravity.

I found myself mesmerized by their convoluted structures, branches twisted and turned in every direction. Some had trunks that were twisted, their stories altered by the elements, redirected to a different path. Others had “scars” where branches had been broken off by strong winds or perhaps drought and the weight of too many leaves over a long, hot summer. Still others had the markings of recovery from a blight. Some were thin and young; some were old and corpulent, as was evident by the number of concentric rings they bore on some of their broken branches, like character lines of the elderly.

It was then that I began to feel that perhaps God was speaking to me. I had recently written a blog entitled, “The Winter of Our Discontent” which questioned the purpose of Winter. And now here I was staring at a barren forest and still able to find beauty and purpose in what was before me. Without the trappings of Summer’s plumage or Autumn’s brilliant exhibition, I was able to see just what these trees were truly made of—the underpinnings and foundations that withstood the trials and tribulations of each year and season—and the quiet dignity with which each bore the fruits of their labors on pleasant Spring days and sleepy Summer afternoons.

I began to wonder just how each and every one of us would appear if we were stripped of our personas. Would we be able to stand the scrutiny of our foundations and character without the blanket of ego? Would our cores be bogged down in the useless vines of senseless ambitions and empty or destructive relationships? Could we bear our “battle” scars with dignity without the trappings of fake smiles and the illusions of social media? Perhaps that is the real purpose of the winter of the soul: To clear away all the clutter and really decide what we stand for, what is worth keeping and whether or not it is time to move in a new direction.

So as we move into a new year, and this is the second time I have been compelled to bring this up, I am going to contemplate just what this means for me. God speaks to us in mysterious ways. And I am no stranger to the signs that He gives. As the year draws to a close, I will take measure of what has come to pass. And I will pray for guidance and the courage to let go of that which no longer serves me. For it is in the letting go that I am truly free and open to the possibilities that the Universe offers me. And perhaps, in that space between letting go and moving on I will have the wisdom to make the right choices. And like the trees, I will have the dignity to live with my choices, knowing that they have made me who I am today. And who I am is fine with me.

May the New Year bring you a sense of hope, renewal and the courage to face what needs to be changed and released. Best Wishes Always, Pegasus

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:35 am