The Red Thread

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Red Thread

The Red Thread

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Red Thread

A Introspective Collection of Life Observations

2 posters

THE GUARDIAN

Pegasus
    Pegasus
    Admin

THE GUARDIAN Empty THE GUARDIAN

Post by Pegasus Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:12 pm

My daughter has suffered from immune problems from the day she was born. At the age of 12, she was diagnosed with both Graves and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. At 14 she had her thyroid completely removed. Over the next four years, she would have other health problems as well. Last December another lump in her neck appeared and she needed more surgery. This time it was a lymph node and missed thyroid tissue from the first surgery. The contents of the lymph node looked suspiciously like metastatic thyroid cancer. To add insult to injury, a review of slides from the original surgery revealed that not only had she had autoimmune disease but her thyroid had contained papillary cancer. It had been missed in the original diagnoses. I had to sit my daughter down and tell her the most horrible news that a parent could possibly ever give a child. She had been so strong over the past six years, keeping up with school, letting go of friends who abandoned her, staying home alot, finding hobbies to accomodate her afflictions. But on that day she wept like a baby.

After that, everything became a big blur for her and me--days caught up in Doctor's phone calls and reports and appointments. And then there was a visit with the Oncologist. Radiation was the best option with one little caveat...a chance, with even one treatment, of permanent leukemia. Things didn't seem like they could get any worse. We did a lot of praying, while we waited for the Pathology report to be finalized. We waited....and waited...and WAITED...ONE MONTH...But in the end we got a miracle! Unknown to us, the Pathology Dept at the hospital where the surgery was performed had sent the lymph samples out for a second opinion, which eventually turned into a third opinion submitted by the DOD Army Hospital in Washington DC. My daughter's case it seemed was somewhat unusual. The result, however, was a complete and pleasant surprise-- the lymph node contained dense infiltrate of antibodies but NO cancer. And there would be no need of radiation. In fact, yearly checkups and blood tests would be all that she would need for the rest of her life. It seemed that the original cancer was self-contained and in the early stages, with no metastasis.

During this time I had also learned of the death of John Travolta's son and the difficulties his family had struggled with because of the son's illness. I knew all too well about caring for a chronically ill child. And the cruel unfairness of it all. On one of my darkest days, I wrote this poem. It is dedicated to all the Moms and Dads and Caregivers who become warriors against the horrible afflictions that rob their children of their childhood and sometimes their lives. God bless you all and may He grant you the same grace that he bestowed upon us...

THE GUARDIAN

You lie there helpless, sleep upon your face

Tubes in your arm, near a heart alarm. Can I take your place?

Why God? I ask. Does this have to be?

Why couldn’t you instead have picked me?

Nurses in and out…You are without a doubt

The star of today’s show, I wish you weren’t though.

Your eyes open and stare up at me

“Momma?” You whisper, your voice a plea.

“I’m here baby girl…” And here I’ll always be.

Your guardian, gatekeeper, your warrior Mom

The one, who protects you, keeps you from harm.

“I’m sleepy…” You moan, and then close your eyes.

“Rest…” I respond. And then with a sigh

I take your hand and wait

And wait…and wait…and wait…

Wait for you to come around

Wait for you to gain some ground

Pull yourself back from this hell

Till then my heart goes on a shelf.

People try to comfort me

With words conferred so flippantly.

There are no accidents in life…

Even when you have such strife

To everything there is a season…

Well, can you give me just ONE reason?

Why, one so young must suffer so?

Until you can…Will you please GO?

I don’t need that kind of attitude.

And the platitudes.

I need answers, and hope, a plan to make it better.

A helping hand to help me keep it together.

I must be strong to help her along.

To do what’s best and pray it’s not wrong.

So here I’ll wait…

And wait and wait and wait…

Lean on me, baby girl. Take what you need.

I’m not going anywhere. Dear God! I plead

Send me some angels, send me some friends

To help me see this through to the end.

Better still a miracle send

And help this child to fully mend.

Till then I’ll sit right here

Ever so near…

And wait and wait and WAIT…

…And hope my prayers are not too late…..

Love to all,
    Pegasus

Last edited by Pegasus on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:08 am; edited 3 times in total
    The Phoenix
    The Phoenix
    Admin

THE GUARDIAN Empty Re: THE GUARDIAN

Post by The Phoenix Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:54 am

Pegasus...

Your strength and courage are a inspiration to us all. "The Guardian" serves as a reminder just how fragile life can be...there are no guarantees. We all should take a moment to reflect upon our own life ...We spend too much time obsessing about our wants and desires. I praise your talent , what a rare gift of verse you possess , but more importantly the strength of your heart ....yeah the power of love. My words seem inadequate , but Thank You so much for sharing...
    What a beautiful soul you have...

Your Friend,
    The Phoenix
    Pegasus
    Pegasus
    Admin

Post by Pegasus Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:48 pm

I never responded to your kind words Phoenix...Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I still grieve for what my daughter has gone through and what may lie ahead. But none of us are ever guaranteed a free ride. Or that life will be fair or just. So we persevere and play the hand we are dealt. XOXO

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:48 pm