The Red Thread

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Red Thread

The Red Thread

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Red Thread

A Introspective Collection of Life Observations

THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT

Pegasus
    Pegasus
    Admin

THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT Empty THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT

Post by Pegasus Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:07 am

Yesterday, I was nursing a stomach virus and as many of us do these days when we're sick I got on my PC and started surfing. Of course being the music junkie that I am I wound up at You Tube, which took me to songs from Movie Musicals--Moulin Rouge being my favorite.

So there I am sitting, listening to Christian profess his undying love for Satine, who is... well...actually dying: "Seasons may change... Winter to Spring...But I love you, till the end of time...Come What May...

Of course they finish singing and then she dies in his arms. Of consumption, yet. Not exactly what I want to think about when my throat is sore, my head is throbbing and my stomach feels like rats are gnawing away at it.

But suddenly what struck me were the phrases "Seasons may change" and "Winter to Spring". People always talk about their lives in terms of Seasons. She's in the Autumn of her life. They are having a May/December Romance. He's already seen too many Springs. But very few people want to talk about Winter, which signals the last stage of a life.

So I started thinking about Winter. Is it really that terrible? I mean, the air turns cold and kills off alot of vermin and disease. And the snows eventually melt in the Spring to replenish the streams. The proverbial slate is wiped clean in preparation for another Spring.

It is truly a time of reflection. We are forced to go indoors and find less physical pursuits like reading, writing, watching TV and of course the ever loving PC, where we perhaps discover new worlds and explore possibilities we hadn't thought of over the other three seasons because we were too busy with sports events and physical activities. It is also a time to catch up on housekeeping and putting things in order.

We spend more time with family, making memories and sharing stories, as we go into nesting mode, because it's just too cold and miserable to go outdoors. We pursue and sometimes even discover hobbies suited to our more sedentary circumstances. And talents that perhaps we didn't even realize we had. Sometimes these hobbies and talents even become lucrative.

And...We share some of the biggest holidays of the year with family and friends: Thanksgiving--When we acknowledge the people and things we are grateful for, Christmas--When we celebrate the birth of hope for a brighter future and New Years Day--The day when we reflect upon the past year acknowledging what we've done wrong and resolving to improve ourselves and rectify past mistakes. We make peace with where we're at.

I come to the conclusion that Winter and the latter part of the year can be as fruitful and fulfilling as the earlier part, if for different reasons. As long as we make each and every day count! And that is my best advice for every Season...